FAQ on special deduction for the renovation cost under P.U. (A) 381/2020 (Updated on 11.03.2021) Part II
Continue from Part I
5. What is the format/form of verification by the external auditors?
Verification of the external auditors needs to be made through a special certificate.
Special certificates can be made in any appropriate format/ form.
6. Is the payment of certification by external auditor is deductible with my R&R expenses?
- No, the fee of certification by external auditor is not included and it is not deductible.
7. Are my expenses for R&R not allowed for special deduction if the cost is more than RM300,000?
- No, you are still entitled for the special deduction is your R&R expenses is more than RM300,000. The maximum to claim is RM300,000 and terms and conditions under P.U.(A) 381/2020 should be applied.
a) Mr Vincent incurred of RM350,000 for his homestay renovation on 01.06.2020. He is entitled to claim for special deduction for the renovation cost of RM300,000 in YA2020 under P.U.(A) 381/2020. The excess of RM50,000 is not allowed to carried forward.
Mr Vincent incurred for another renovation cost amounting RM150,000 for his homestay renovation in February 2021. Mr Vincent is not entitled to claim special deduction for RM150,000 renovation cost in YA2021 due to he has claimed for the maximum amount of RM300,000 in YA2020.
b) Encik Rahim incurred of RM120,000 for his restaurant renovation on 01.08.2020. He is entitled to claim for special deduction for the renovation cost of RM120,000 in YA2020 under P.U.(A) 381/2020.
Encik Rahim incurred for another renovation cost amounting RM300,000 for his restaurant renovation in July 2021. But Encik Rahim is entitled to claim special deduction for RM180,000 in YA2021 due to he has reached the maximum amount (RM300,000) that he can claim within the period of 01.03.2020 to 31.12.2021.
8. Is the renovation cost cannot be absorbed when the company has adjusted losses?
- Yes, if the renovation cost is not entitled to claim under P.U. (A)381/2020 and cannot be utilised from adjusted income as it is an adjusted loss to the company. The losses can be carried forward and subject to a restricted period under Subsection 44(5F) of ITA 1967.
9. Can I claim the special deduction for the renovation cost if I have also entitled to claim under subsection 33(1) of ITA 1967 or capital allowance under Schedule 2 or Schedule 3?
- No, you are not entitled to claim the special deduction for the renovation cost if you have claimed under subsection 33(1) of ITA 1967 or capital allowance under Schedule 2 or Schedule 3.
10. What supporting document is required?
- The supporting documents should be kept for the required period under ITA 1967 and due to the requirement by LHDN. Supporting documents to be provided including:
i) Business registration certificate
ii) Ownership of the premises (eg: Tenancy agreement)
iii) Invoice for the renovation cost, and
iv) Invoice for the renovation cost which certified by external auditor
Wisma 𝐊𝐓𝐏, 53 Jalan Molek 1/8, Taman Molek, 81100 Johor Bahru
Wisma 𝐓𝐇𝐊, 41, Jalan Molek 1/8, Taman Molek, 81100 Johor Bahru
𝐊𝐓𝐏 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐲𝐥𝐞 (Our internal community for our colleagues)
𝐊𝐓𝐏 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐫 (Our job platform for interns, graduates & experienced candidates )
𝐓𝐇𝐊 (Our associate in secretarial & accounting services)
We are one-stop (20 years+ history) audit, tax, secretarial, accounting and payroll firms which commit to help and grow our clients business.
Published : 19-Mar-2021